Monday, January 14, 2008

Yesterday - all my troubles seemed so far away! part 3

I discovered that Ross has a lovely eastern by-pass to the M50 and I quickly gotonto the other side of the River Wye, which was full and swiftly flowing. Takingthe Hereford Road I immediately turned off to my first target and wasimmediately seduced into stopping by

ST BRIDGET, BRIDSTOW, HEREFS


ST BRIDGET, BRIDSTOW, HEREFS
Originally uploaded by
ChurchCrawler

Apart from the tower, this church looks entirely rebuilt, but it is on a grand scale, especially for somewhere with so few residents. Four-bayed nave and aisles and chancel with north chapel/organ/vestry. The church was locked, but with phone numbers to contact, but this was not an intended target for the day so I was walking back up the path when a lady driving by called out to me. She had the key! The church is usually open daily from Spring to Autumn I was informed. I was left in the open church to take my photos. The surprise inside is the large and ornate chancel arch, Norman, and a strange shrine in a recess on the north side of the sanctuary. Sadly a credence shelf is fitted immediately above making appreciation of the carving on the top very difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment