Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Annunciation, Bryanston Street, Marble Arch, London


A few stops east of Notting Hill Gate on the Central Line and I emerged from Marble Arch tube station, turned thrice left and I was at the chief target for the day, Sir Walter Tapper's 1911 church of the Annunciation. It is not as large as it appears in photos, but is very lofty. Tapper gave the church double north aisles but there is no south aisle, just blank walling below the triforium stage. The church's website advertises the church as open daily, it was, but my visit was confined to the west end behind and iron grille. The history and guidebook were tantalisingly out of reach. I seem fated to not look around this church, the last time I was in London it was shut because the verger was away on holiday. Maybe today he had popped out for a late lunch. Still the church impressed but I would have liked to wander around and admire the changing vistas and see the detailing and fittings up close.

No comments:

Post a Comment