Sunday, June 12, 2011

St Michael, Church Broughton, Derbyshire










A large church, mostly C14. On the exterior of the chancel is a tomb recess with quatrefoil decorated chest. Inside the arcades have the main interest. The NE respond is Norman, but the arcades are C14. However the first pier from the west is not really a pier, but a short piece of walling with E & W responds. There is an amusing carved face on the piece of walling on both sides of the nave (one illustrated here). The chancel arch is also very handsome, but as Pevsner does not mention it, I assume it is a Victorian replacement. Not a great deal else to record apart from the large Royal Arms of George IV, a handsome C18 pulpi and an oddly decorated Norman font.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This felt like it should be my last church of the day, and I chatted to the couple who have the house to the west of the church as the clock struck five. They have one of the most outstanding gardens I have seen for a long time. I was still hungry and my SatNav directed me home via Burton on Trent where I was to see several big Victorian churches as I drove through the town centre. However this was not before I had stopped at a most splendid takeaway where I consumed in the car one of the best Kebabs I have ever had, and reflected on my day. The following weekend would see me off again for two days, attending the ChurchCrawling eGroup's "AGM" in the Soke of Peterborough.

No comments:

Post a Comment