Tuesday, October 11, 2011

St Joseph, Mala Strana, Prague

The tall ornate facade does not prepare you for the interior which is basically a large rotunda with side altars in shallow recesses. It was built for a Carmelite Convent in the 17th century. The foundation stone was laid down by Emperor Leopold I. The architect of the church is unknown. Photography inside is forbidden, but I was asked to help move a heavy seat to the entrance by a lady with a good line in mime. Accordingly I risked asking in mime if I could take pictures and she said yes. A nun inside frowned but was spoken to by the other lady and did not stop me either! I am most grateful.
This was the last church visited on my first day in the city. We walked over the Charles Bridge and back along the banks of the Vltava crossing by the next bridge back to our hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment